Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Happiness Is...


Do you remember when the biggest worry you had was wondering when that first tooth would fall out, and if it would hurt?

I'm afraid our youngest had this worry for much longer than most of the other kids her age.
 She first became aware of the ritual of losing teeth in Kindergarten, where friends would proudly show her gaping empty holes where once teeth had been.  Show and Tell ensued and often a prize was given. Often recognition of this great feat would be posted on the wall for all to see.

Our daughter couldn't wait for that special honour.

She couldn't wait for this great accomplishment to be hers.

But wait... aaand wait... she did.

Kindergarten... and no loose tooth.

Grade one... and no loose tooth.

Half way through Grade two and still no loose tooth.

Finally one day she said, mom I can feel something in my mouth.
With one big Ahhh, we saw that another tooth was rudely pushing its way through.  
It was in behind the stubborn baby tooth, who didn't have any plans on relinquishing its place in her mouth.
The dentist was called and a decision was made.  That first tooth was going to have to be pulled.

You have never seen a happier child as this one right here.  

She was going to join the ranks of the Adult Toothers.

While she was very worried and frightened at the prospect,  she was also very happy to finally be stepping over the threshold to big girl hood. 

She did not shed one tear.

You see, she was no longer a baby... 

   and then... 

                                                                         her mother cried instead.

    xo
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Speaking of crying...you made me tear up with this one. Beautifully written and that first photo is my face.

    p/s if you're really broken up about it, we can mail you H.H. when he starts teething...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...

    I was like that when my son had his haircut. How did an inch of hair cut off make him look so grown up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dana!
    This story reminds me of the story of Franklin and the loose tooth...about Franklin the turtle.
    These photos are so cute. Look how extremely happy she is. What a great take on the assignment.
    Thanks for your comments on my blog. It is so nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dana - what a sweet post. She looks so happy and proud of herself. Hope you all have a great weekend. Has it warmed up a bit? No more mittens I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why I love coming here...you adore your children as much as I adore mine, and even have a crush on them, like I do.

    My heart still quickens when they enter a room. No lie.

    Lovely post. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet and oh, how beautiful! I also have a younger one with a missing front tooth - don't ya just love it and savor the season?
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJune 18, 2010

    I have mulled around in the blog world for awhile but nothing ever caught my eye. I would hear of devoted readers and followers. I just couldn't relate. That is until now. I LOVE IT. My children are almost grown and it brings me laughter...no that would be hoots to read of the life and times of Bungalow'56. THANKS

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like the applause after a show! Yay clapping!