Pages

Sunday, March 04, 2012

Faith Photos: The First Seven

When I first decided to take 40 faith pictures during Lent
I had no idea what it would look like.  What they would look like.
I knew I didn't want it to be a series of crosses I'd found and taken pictures of.
So I decided to just let it unfold.
And see what would inspire me.

I decided to take this photo as I was on my way to pick up the girls from school.
The bracelet was sitting on the coffee table all by itself 
and since it can be used as a rosary I figured why not, I've got to start somewhere.
I was trying to focus on the little beads with the light filtering through,
I wasn't expecting anything special.

With the naked eye you cannot see the very faint outline of the etching.
I had forgotten it was there.
It wasn't until I looked at my camera screen that I realized what I had captured.
A total surprise.
I've even since gone back to the bracelet to look at it. 
It is almost impossible to see.
And yet here in the picture the way the light hit it...

Isn't that the way faith works in our lives though?
Thinking God isn't there because we can't see him, 
and then realizing when we look back, that he was there all along.

Last weekend Eldest and Middlest participated in a youth retreat called Discovery.
Edlest works on team and Middlest attended for the first time.

The Agronomist and I went on Sunday to help in the kitchen.
That mom above organizes all of the meals and snacks.
Over 100 attended.
The girls couldn't stop talking about how amazing the food was.

There are four main couples who make this weekend happen.
The faith they share with these kids... 
and the work and time they put into it?
It made me feel so thankful.


The kids were saying goodbye.
Lots of hugs and lots of tears.
I didn't want to get too close and intrude.
Faith was tangible here.

It's important for me to be very clear that I am a doubting Thomas.
I'm filled with questions. Always.
I don't think this is bad.
It's just the way I am.

For some reason I was walking into the house thinking about the bible verse 
about how birds don't have to worry about their food etc.  You can find it here.
I can't remember what spurred this line of thought, but I was basically saying to God... really? Really?  
while thinking about all the World Vision commercials on TV.

The next day as I was washing dishes, 
a flurry of wings kept passing very close to my window.
Close enough that it scared me a bit.
I wasn't sure what was going on. Back and forth very close to the window.
I went to look outside and watched as a several birds sat in trees in the back yard.
Some flying from the corner of the garage in front of the window to a tree beside the house.

I grabbed my camera and took a few shots.
And before I could take more than a handful they had all flown away.
It felt a little like a message.

Coincidence?  Maybe.
But it sure didn't feel that way.
It just made me think more about the Sarah Mclachlan video 
I posted last week on my Bungalow'56 facebook page.

Once again at the sink, having a chat, thinking about questions or maybe praying?
I guess it depends on how you look at it..
I'm starting to realize I experience faith here more than anywhere.

I've always loved stained glass and a few years back took a beginners course.
This was the resulting project.
I saw it on the windowsill yesterdayand realized it was cracked.
When I picked it up, the edge broke off.
I decided to throw it away.

But then realized I had put some work into it, and it was still beautiful. 
I figured with a little crazy glue it would be just fine.
So instead of the garbage it's going to be repaired 
and finally after ten years I will hang it in my kitchen window.

I've decided it will represent me.
Broken with a few cracks but still worth keeping.
I'd like to think it's a metaphor for how God sees me.

I love stained glass.
Always have.
I recently rehung this in my front window after being in storage for several years.

I saw it at a local art shop and told The Agronomist about it.
It was more than we could afford.
Then it was gone and I was so disappointed.
But only for a short while,
because on our 1st Anniversary a few weeks later I unwrapped it.
I still love it nineteen years later.
I will never take it down again.

It reminds me that whether I have questions or not, I can't imagine living without faith.
I am definitely someone who needs to hear on a daily basis
what I heard in the church pew this morning.

Someone loves you.
And always will.

xoxo,


Note: Comments will be closed for the 40 Faith photos segment.





Pin It