Pages

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

A First Day Of School Tradition

HURRY, HURRY, HURRY EVERYONE.  I WANT TO TAKE A PICTURE BEFORE YOU GO!
School started Tuesday,
We arrived home late Friday,
We unpacked on Saturday,
We shopped for school shoes on Sunday and on Monday.
My eldest has worn Converse for the last three years.
She just picks the colour she wants.
Burgandy/2008
Black/2007
Eggplant Purple (as opposed to purpley purple)/2010 


It will be the first year all of my children will not be attending the same school.
This one will be leaving a half hour earlier than her sisters, to begin her first day of high school (gr.10).
She is thanking me right now for noticing some toothpaste on her shirt which I happily wiped off for her.
What's that honey?  I'm quickly writing a post here.
Ummm.... of course the splotches will dry before you get there...

Every year since she started school eleven years ago, we have taken a First Day Of School picture.

It goes something like this:

GIRLS GET YOUR SHOES ON ITS TIME FOR A PICTURE!
But We're not ready!
WHERE ARE YOUR BACKPACKS?  OH NEVER MIND...OUTSIDE NOW!
Where are my shoes?  Has anyone seen my coat.
My hair isn't ready.
HURRY UP WE'LL MAKE YOUR SISTER LATE FOR SCHOOL! (this would be the first year I've said that)
DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOUR HAIR IT DOESN"T MATTER.

Almost got it.  Wait, Middlest what are you doing?  
Alright, lets try that again.


Click!
Shoot....Middlest stop fidgeting, you look fine, just smile, we don't have much time.
Your sisters are looking like frozen faced mannequins.

Yup I got it... let me just check.
Darn, I'm a little overexposed.  One more OK?
M000000000mmmmmm!
Can we stop smiling now? Can we go in?  Its freeezing out here (6 degrees celcius)....
I don't waaaant to go to school.
Can we go back to bed?
Do we really have to brush our teeth....again?

GREAT! 
THAT'S A TAKE...NOW LET'S GO, HURRY UP!

I love looking back on these pictures,
The girls always look so calm and serene.
Happy to be returning to school.
Happy to have had this photo opportunity.
Happy to have had me as their mom.
OK maybe I'm projecting here just a bit.

But it's true what they say.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
And Pictures never lie. 
(OK maybe they don't tell the whole truth, but that will be our little secret)
I will continue to live in my picture filled DreamBlog world.

And she's off.
Have a great day Honey.
We know you'll do great!

It's Mom and Dad you'll have to worry about today.
       XO




Pin It

20 comments:

  1. Aww.... lovely!

    Your girls are so pretty.

    I have three teenagers who keep the acne medication industry afloat.

    How do they have such perfect skin??

    I'm not showing these pictures to my kids. I don't think they'll be able to find charitable words in their hearts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls love Converse too. My youngest is on her 3rd pair (metallic rainbow stars, purple and now turquoise). The oldest wears a uniform and loafers but still loves her Converse as well, she's got brown, yellow and now I think we're ordering vanilla for this year. I always take seperate pix because mine have never gone to school together and are on different schedules. I love your group shots and I agree they are all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that she wears converse every year :)
    Your girls are gorgeous!
    Happy first day of school to your girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your girls are gorgeous! This is our first year of converse.. Our eldest got "The Who" high top converse this year.

    I went back to look at the post from our 1st day of school and you know what??? It was missing... So thank you!!! Now it is up with a bit of tweaking!!

    I loved the photo journal of your vacation!! So glad to see you had such a great time. Could I get some information from you some time? We have talked about going to Quebec but don't know anyone who has gone... Thanks!!

    Enjoy the year ahead!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute photos. I think that's how our morning will go to - me trying to snap away as they try to get ready. My boys got the converse shoes with flames going down the side. I don't know if they think they'll make them run faster or what but they look pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!! I do the same every year too, although mine are young enough to still enjoy it, lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do the same thing with the pictures. I can't get them all in the same one these days with three different school.

    Your girls are lovely.

    6 degress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great photos! And kudos to you for being able to have enough time to capture them!!! I just did a dry run to the school this morning, I have never had to get 3 up, fed, dressed and out of the house by 8:10....and I found out that I should actually leave 10 min early....YIKES!!! And love the converse...I just posted Jack's first pair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want a pair of eggplant Converse! My oldest lived in Converse all her high school years. Your girls are gorgeous. We have the same "drama" going on behind the first day of school pictures too. Except this year it was pretty easy with only one left to get out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures. I'm very jealous of the converse, I haven't had a pair in years. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. back to school pictures are the BEST!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Micah's five-year-old self proclaimed he wanted high-top Cons last year. He was frustrated every day at how hard they were to get on and how long they took to tie. But he looked COOL.
    This year, low-topped Nikes. But the laces are stinky. Maybe we'll find his signature style when he's seven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 6 degrees! yikes! we're still in hot/humid weather here in SW Ontario..
    Your girls are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, so jealous of you sending your girls off to their first day of school. My days of doing that are long past, so I'm relegated to pressing my nose against the kitchen window and watching the NEIGHBOR kids catch the school bus. Raising good kids is darn hard work; but thank goodness you have a good work ethic. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh these are absolutely fantastic, and ditto all of these girls are gorgeous! Glad we found each other, headed over to the photography section now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all your girls are just gorgeous! Second, I can't believe you guys are wearing jackets already! I hope they have a great school year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww...your girls are darling! Hope they all had a wonderful first day! Great color on those Converse! They will all love these 1st day of school pictures someday...just as much as you do:) Wonderful tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's nice to know we still try - my boys -grade 11, 10 and "the teacher" - not liking posing for a pic either.Chantelle was a bit more cooperative! Oh well - worth some laughs and a memory or two. Hope your girls had a great first day.
    Michelle~via facebook

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everyone looks so cool!
    Megan~via facebook

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope they all have a super year!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like the applause after a show! Yay clapping!