Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays... Thick White Cookies

Thick White Cookies.
That is their name.
Not very inspiring is it?

But they are delicious, and sooo easy to make.
If you need a rolled out cookie to decorate late at night when you realize you've promised to bring some into the class the next morning?
But you decided to watch an episode of Madmen instead...
Then this is your cookie.

We have a Nationally guarded secret here in Western Canada.
She is called Jean Pare, and she is the creator of the National Best Selling series of cookbooks called Company's Coming.

I have her whole series and they have been a staple in my kitchen since I was a young girl.
I'm more of a baker and the Cookie and Cake volumes are tattered and worn.

This particular cookie, I tried for the first time last night.

I wanted a sugar cookie I could decorate without a lot of fuss.
These were perfect.

I whipped up a batch, and rolled them out without any chilling.
They were so easy to work with and soft and tasty.

Believe me, they taste as good as they look.

Here is the recipe:

THICK WHITE COOKIES Recipe credit goes to Jean Pare's Company's Coming Cookies cookbook

Big cookies, soft and thick. 
For a variation, sprinkle with granulated sugar before baking
(or do like I did and ice them)

Butter or margarine, softened  1/2 cup
Granulated sugar  1/2 cup
Brown sugar, packed  1/2 cup
Egg  1
Milk  1/2 cup
Vanilla  1 tsp.

All-purpose flour  3 cups
Cream of tartar  2 tsp.
Baking soda  1 tsp.
Salt  1/2 tsp.

Cream butter and both sugars together.  Beat in egg.  Add milk and vanilla.

Stir flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt together and add.  Mix well.  Roll out 1/4 inch thick on floured surface.  Cut into  23/4 inch rounds (I used a heart shaped cookie cutter).  Place on greased baking sheet.  Bake in 375 F oven for 8to10 minutes.  Makes 21/2 dozen.

ICING

1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Continue adding icing sugar until you have a spreadable consistency.
If you want the icing to harden somewhat, add one egg white and add more icing sugar.

I also think they would taste wonderful with a cream cheese icing too : )

You and your family will LOVE these!



xoxo,

I will be linking this post for the first time ever to Tasty Tuesdays!

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. They look so festive & yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana - I'm so excited that you linked up a recipe! These cookies look ridiculously good. They would have made for a perfect ending to my dinner of leftover beef pie. Shoot - now I'm going to have to go hunt around for something sweet! I can't believe I've never heard of Jean Pare - off to check out her cookbooks.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, I can almost taste them! Copying this recipe immediately! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. We really like thick, white cookies.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love thick soft cookies! They look completely yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, where was this recipe when I needed it! Like yesterday. I was looking for a good V-day cookie recipe and found the ones online a bit - blah! What kind of Canadian am I? I don't have the WHOLE Jean Pare series - gasp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dana- i definitely need to add these to my cookie list! i love last minute :) and they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the beautiful photos alone have me drooling ... gorgeous + delicious + easy = winner!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. dana dana dana:

    and what is the reason you live so far away again?

    Oh, yah. you like that guy you live with, what's his name, the agronomist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh those look good and easy too!!??
    AWESOME!
    Have a happy night

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like the applause after a show! Yay clapping!